In a confusing blog post, Microsoft has announced that System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager SP1 (ConfigMgr 2012 R2 SP1) and System Center 2012 Configuration Manager SP2 (ConfigMgr 2012 SP2) have been released.
UPDATE: Microsoft have posted an article addressing some of the confusion: System Center 2012 Configuration Manager SP2 and System Center 2012 R2 Configuration Manager SP1: Frequently Asked Questions.
Useful note: It is not possible to upgrade while a migration source hierarchy is actively gathering data. (You can just stop gathering).
This blog post gives an overview of the process I followed to update my standalone primary site (with site systems) from ConfigMgr 2012 R2 to ConfigMgr 2012 R2 SP1.
Download the Updates
To download the updates, go to the TechNet Evaluation Center:
Click Register to continue, Sign in with your Microsoft accounts and fill out the required profile details then download the updates. For ConfigMgr 2012 R2 SP1, 2 (required) downloads will be initiated:
- SC2012_R2_SP1_Configmgr.exe, and
After the downloads are finished, extract the files to a convenient location.
Backup and Test the DB Upgrade
The guys over at Deployment Research reminded me that you should perform a test db upgrade on a copy of your database before upgrading the site. See ConfigMgr Setup Command Line Options for more information.
This step is optional, but it’s useful to have all the files for when you are ready to install.
- From the extracted SC2012_SP2_Configmgr_SCEP files, run splash.hta and click Get the latest Configuration Manager updates
- Follow the instructions to download and store the files
Install the Updates
- Log on to the root server in your hierarchy, for me, this was my standalone primary site.
- Close any local running instances of the Configuration Manager Console.
- From the extracted SC2012_SP2_Configmgr_SCEP files, run splash.hta, click Install (yes, Install)
- On the Before you Begin screen; click Next
- Ensure Upgrade this Configuration Manager site is selected, click Next
- Follow the remaining steps as normal (specifying the downloaded prerequisite information if you downloaded it in advance). Eventually, you’ll be upgrading:
- I always click on View Log because I want to know all the details, you may be happy to just wait 🙂
At this stage you have Configuration Manager 2012 Service Pack 2 installed. You can monitor the upgrade of distribution points and site system roles using distmgr.log and sitecomp.log.
If you previously had Configuration Manager 2012 (not the R2 version) and you are licensed for R2, you can run the MSI in the SC2012_R2_SP1_Configmgr extracted files (SMSSETUPBINX64Configmgr2012R2SP1.msi) to enable the R2 features.
Obviously keep an eye on site status to confirm that all components are happy after the upgrade and if at all possible, test the upgrade on a test site first!!! There are also updates to the console and client that you will need to roll out.
The version of the updated software in the registry is 5.00.8239.1000 (for ConfigMgr 2012 SP2 and ConfigMgr 2012 R2 SP1). The ConfigMgr Dogs have updated their version number post – ConfigMgr 2012 Version Numbers.